Cheap Eats: $1 Samosas Are Amazing

“Cheap Eats” is my post-series on cheap restaurants and prepared food options in New York. I recommend cooking your own food most of the time, but every once in a while it is nice to indulge and you don’t have to pay through the nose to do so. I plan to review many of the cheap options I find on various websites and will let you know if they are as good and as cheap as advertised. If you have a suggestion for a place to review, feel free to let me know through my contact page.

If you don’t know what samosas are, get ready. These things are awesome! They are a staple in India, other parts of Asia, the Middle East, and parts of Africa. A fried pastry is filled with a savory blend of potatoes, onions, peas, lentils, spices, and sometimes various meats. And guess what? I found a place that has delicious ones for only $1 each:

Little Pakistan Deli Corp – 200 2nd Ave (map)

An unassuming little bodega - who knew they have such great samosas!
An unassuming little bodega – who knew they have such great samosas!
I walked in to what looked like any other corner bodega you see around New York city. I honestly wondered if I was in the right place. Then, behind the glass display counter, I saw them. I was prepared to get 5 to maximize my $5 “Cheap Eats” budget, but after seeing the size of the samosas, I opted to go for 3 instead. I treated myself to one chicken samosa, which cost $.50 more.
It's hard to tell the scale, but 3 of these suckers is definitely enough for lunch.
It’s hard to tell the scale, but 3 of these suckers is definitely enough for lunch.

The Cheap Eats Breakdown

How was the ordering experience? It was simple enough, nothing fancy. I stepped up to the counter and asked for two veggie samosas and one chicken samosa. The guy behind the counter asked if I wanted them heated and I said yes. Note, either ask them to heat them a little longer than normal or pop them in your own microwave for a minute or two when you get home as they weren’t as piping hot as I would have hoped – a problem that is easily correctable, though.

How unique is the food? Samosas are pretty unique I would say! Sure, you can order them at most Indian restaurants, but as far as quick takeout for cheap, I would say this is one of the more unique offerings I have come across.

How delicious was the food? So delicious! Again, the only issue was they weren’t super hot, but man, did they taste good. The potato base with the spices and other ingredients work so well together.

Did it fill me up for $5 or less? For $3.50, I was absolutely full until my next meal. If I had purchased $5 worth of samosas, I can’t imagine finishing all 5 of them.

Conclusion: Little Pakistan Deli Corp is definitely a new favorite of mine. Don’t go there expecting any ambiance whatsoever. Just expect cheap, delicious samosas. This is the best deal I have found in NYC since I discovered Chinatown dumplings!

16 thoughts on “Cheap Eats: $1 Samosas Are Amazing

1. Danny March 20, 2014 at 8:40 am

Big fan of samosas (when I can get my hands on them anyway). To see you found a cheap and delicious samosa (looks great in the photo btw) on the Lower East Side…that’s a damn good find. Will be making a trip to this place in the near future. But in any case, I tip my hat to you good sir…well played!

• Mr NYBudget March 20, 2014 at 9:41 am

Thanks Danny – and enjoy your samosas!

2. Leslie Beslie March 20, 2014 at 1:29 pm

So many cheap food options over there! Have you been to Xian’s Famous Food? A lamb-burger is under $5 and was enough to fill me up for sure. A giant bowl of noodles is under $6. Spicy and so good!

Second favorites place is Vanessa’s Dumplings. But for their sesame pancakes! They’re also under $5 and really filling.
    Leslie Beslie recently posted: Verbal Harassment is Not HarmlessMy Profile

• Mr NYBudget March 20, 2014 at 1:54 pm

I have been and actually one of the spicy noodle dishes is on the list for my cheap eats series! That place is great!

3. Mel @ brokeGIRLrich March 21, 2014 at 1:16 am

They remind me of these pastelitos (?) things in the deli around the corner from where I live – they have chicken, beef, cheese and a Spanish word I don’t recognize and they’re $1 each. My favorite dinner is to pick up 2 of the chicken kind with a .75 package of chocolate chip cookies.
    Mel @ brokeGIRLrich recently posted: Liebster Award!My Profile

• Mr NYBudget March 21, 2014 at 7:08 am

Sounds delish! I may have to check out that deli sometime. What’s it called?

4. No Nonsense Landlord March 22, 2014 at 2:07 am

I have never really been to NY. Maybe if I get there, I’ll try one of those…
    No Nonsense Landlord recently posted: My Seventh Property, my first 4-plexMy Profile

• Mr NYBudget March 22, 2014 at 9:36 am

Come visit any time! We’d be happy to have you!

5. Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life March 22, 2014 at 10:25 am

This is a few blocks from my apartment. I’ll have to check it out!
    Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life recently posted: Spending Snapshot: Personal CareMy Profile

• Mr NYBudget March 22, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Absolutely! There’s a lot of good, inexpensive food in your hood!

6. NZ Muse March 22, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Argh, so much cheap and delicious food in NYC!

I practically lived on Samosas when we visited London – our hostel was around the corner from a shop that had I think 2 for 1 pound 70 cents so I filled up on them whenever possible.
    NZ Muse recently posted: Three things that stoke my travel itchMy Profile

• Mr NYBudget March 22, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Sounds great! I hope to get to London someday and I’ll be on the lookout for those samosas!

7. Liz March 23, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Yum these look amazing : ) Looks like a great find!
    Liz recently posted: Liebster AwardMy Profile

• Mr NYBudget March 23, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Thanks – I’m always on the lookout. More cheap eats to come!

8. EL @ Moneywatch101 April 25, 2014 at 8:52 am

These look awesome and immediately reminded me of the pastelitos. Same concept except without the potatoes in them, just the good ol protein instead. I will be on the look out for samosas in the future. Thanks.
    EL @ Moneywatch101 recently posted: The Best Excuses Why People are in DebtMy Profile

• Mr NYBudget April 25, 2014 at 11:45 am

Interesting! I will have to be on the lookout for pastelitos. Sounds delicious!