Update: We finished our park volunteering effort! It was great! Read all about it.
I have talked about different ways of being frugal while still giving back. I love stretching my pro-social dollars by lending through Kiva. I have also talked about my New Years resolution of being generous with my friends. But there is one, obvious way to give back without spending a dime: volunteering. Instead of giving your money, give your time.
This may be an obvious option to you, but the reason I haven’t written this post before now is that I want to challenge all of us to actually COMMIT to a volunteer day. I have been speaking with the NYC Parks Department about setting up a day in May for me, my readers, and my fellow NYC bloggers. What better way to ring in Spring 2014, than by getting outdoors and helping maintain the amazing green spaces here in New York.
For those of you not in New York, I urge you to create your own volunteer day with friends, family, and anyone else in your community. I will be more than happy to support you by posting the info for other cities my site as well as through social media outlets.
In New York, we will be gathering Saturday, May 3rd, during the day. Exact activity details are forthcoming, but we will definitely be working on beautifying and maintaining NYC parks. Here is what’s confirmed so far:
- When: May 3rd – 10am to 1pm
- Where: TBD – Manhattan
- Type of Volunteer Work: TBD
- What to Bring: Appropriately Clothing – Will communicate what this should be closer to the date
Three of my favorite NYC bloggers, brokeGIRLrich, The Pursuit of Riches, and Financially Blonde will be there as well!
Benefits of volunteering with us:
- Spend a Spring day outdoors, enjoying the NYC Parks
- Give back to the New York community
- Save money while doing so
- Meet some great new people while you’re at it
- We will likely grab a drink and/or food afterwards, which should be a lot of fun (hanging out with me afterwards is strictly optional)
I hope to see you out there. If you have any questions, leave them in the comments and I will do my best to answer them!
Like this post? Sign up to receive posts via email and never miss a tip for living well and saving money!