My Bucket List

BucketListAs a break from the regular Friday posts, I wanted to share my bucket list with you. Some would call this a life goal list or an “impossible list“. Either way, these are goals that I want to accomplish by the time I die. For this blog’s purposes, the “Finance” goals might be the most relevant, but I think it is important to look at all sections and think about creating a bucket list for yourself. Some of these goals are the reasons why I save and grow my net worth. And almost all of them have a financial component (I need money to travel, for instance. Also, I would have a lot more time to learn to play the guitar if I were financially independent). So without further ado, here is my list:

TRAVEL

• Visit All 7 Continents
    • North America
    • South America
    • Europe
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Antarctica
    • Australia/Oceania
  • Visit 50 Different Counties (including)
    • Turkey (Hagia Sofia)
    • Greece
    • Australia
    • New Zealand
    • Japan
    • Thailand
    • Vietnam
    • China
    • Brazil (The Amazon)
    • Egypt
    • Western Europe (UK, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland)
    • Scandanavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland)
    • Peru (Machu Picchu)
    • Yucatán (Mayan Ruins)
    • Iceland (Northern Lights)
    • Russia

(Progress so Far)

Country Travel Map

• Live Outside of the United States for at Least 3 Months
  • Visit All 50 States (Progress so Far)

State Travel Map

• IPA
    • Double IPA
    • Stout
    • Imperial Stout
    • Porter
    • Fruit Infused Pale Ale
    • Ginger Beer (Alcoholic)
  • Enter and Place in a Homebrewing Competition
  • Learn to Play Guitar (justinguitar.com)
  • Complete a Painting Following a Bob Ross Tutorial
  • Create an iPhone App and get it into the iTunes App Store

FINANCE

• Be worth $1 million
  • Leave a $100 tip at a Restaurant
  • Make 100 Kiva Microloans
  • Reach 50 “Loans Made By Invitees” on Kiva
  • Give a lump sum $5,000 Donation to a Worthy Cause

BLOG

• Reach 1 million unique visitors
  • Have a post featured on a major news outlet
  • Reach 100 Twitter followers
  • Make meaningful connections at FinCon
  • Use the blog to organize a big event or do something pro-social

MISCELLANEOUS

• Purchase a TV Ad Timeslot and Run My Own “Commercial”
  • Hire (or Convince) a Professional Photographer to Do a Photo Shoot of Me
  • Achieve a Klout Score of 50
  • Appear on TV (News Report, Extra, Etc)
  • Have a Movie Credit
  • Get a Tattoo

That’s it so far! The great thing about this list is that I am always changing it. What’s on your list?

30 thoughts on “My Bucket List

1. The Jackal February 24, 2014 at 9:00 am

You may want to shade in Peru in South America….

• Mr NYBudget February 24, 2014 at 10:27 am

Good catch! Thanks Jackal – I have updated.

2. Shannon @ Financially Blonde February 24, 2014 at 9:07 am

This is quite the eclectic list, but awesome! I have a few of these on my to-dos as well. The biggest one is drive across the US but with a theme like “eating a burger or drinking a local brew” in every state.
    Shannon @ Financially Blonde recently posted: Music Mondays – Bad ReputationMy Profile

• Mr NYBudget February 24, 2014 at 10:29 am

Sounds like an incredible trip. I did a day once where I had a beer and food in each of the 5 boroughs in one day – I love those little “extra” activities when traveling.

3. Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life February 24, 2014 at 9:15 am

These are totally doable and for some, you are already well on your way.

I did my marathon last year which was a big bucket list item, now I just gotta figure out how to get on The Colbert Report 😉
    Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life recently posted: Is Playing the Lottery Insane?My Profile

• Mr NYBudget February 24, 2014 at 10:30 am

Your blog is blowing up right now! I wouldn’t be surprised to see you on Colbert this time next year!

4. Erin @ My Alternate Life February 24, 2014 at 11:19 am

Love this! I’m a big fan of bucket lists and experience goals! My top three countries to visit are Germany, Italy, and Spain and my husband and I really want to see Real Madrid play Barcelona in Spain.

Can’t wait to meet you at FinCon!
    Erin @ My Alternate Life recently posted: What Can an Average Income Buy?My Profile

• Mr NYBudget February 24, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Awesome! Yeah, I pretty much want to travel everywhere. I am definitely looking forward to FinCon though!

5. Leslie Beslie February 24, 2014 at 12:29 pm

How serious are you about the tattoo? Do you have a design or artist in mind? Or is this a really long-term thing for you?
    Leslie Beslie recently posted: How Having Goals Can Hurt YouMy Profile

• Mr NYBudget February 24, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I do have an initial design, one that I want an artist to develop further. About a year ago, I went around to a few places and the artists there didn’t seem like good matches. I imagine I will have to spend a bit more money to get what I want, so I have put that on hold for now until I get further along with my financial plan.

6. Phil February 24, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Wow – this is some bucket list! Very impressive. Good luck on your quest to achieve all of this. I don’t really have a list but a bunch of things and goals I hope to hit.
    Phil recently posted: German Hookers in Brooklyn? Schnitzel Haus has them!My Profile

• Mr NYBudget February 24, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Thanks Phil! We’ll see how it goes!

7. FI Fighter February 25, 2014 at 12:39 am

These are some awesome goals man… sort of reminds me of John Goddard, a legendary polymath. I hope you keep the list updated through the years as it will be a fun one to keep track of.

I would love to travel the world as well. In terms of mastery, I want to YOLO something new every 7 years.
    FI Fighter recently posted: App Party #3My Profile

• Mr NYBudget February 25, 2014 at 8:26 am

Yeah, I definitely hope to keep updating the list – hopefully I stick to it!

8. Kristin Wong February 25, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Nice bucket list, man! And very cool that you have some items crossed off. Most of my bucket list items are travel related. I really, really want to take a cruise to Antarctica someday. And I want to go to Socotra, Yemen. S%*# looks crazy.
    Kristin Wong recently posted: Frugal finds at the Asian grocery storeMy Profile

• Mr NYBudget February 25, 2014 at 1:20 pm

A cruise to Antarctica sounds absolutely incredible. And I hadn’t heard of Socotra before just looking it up after you mentioned it. Wow! Those are some awesome goals for places to visit!

9. Connie @ Savvy With Saving February 25, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Great list! Traveling is high on my bucket list too. My boyfriend and I recently bought this scratch off map to keep track of our future adventures. It’s pretty cute, I think you would like it! http://www.amazon.com/Luckies-London-Scratch-Map-LUSCR/dp/B003NCIPS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393385020&sr=8-1&keywords=scratch+off+map
    Connie @ Savvy With Saving recently posted: Luxury Quality, Affordable Prices | Everlane ReviewMy Profile

• Mr NYBudget February 25, 2014 at 10:43 pm

That map is pretty cool! I may just have to put that on my birthday list!

10. Andrew@LivingRichCheaply February 26, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Very interesting bucket list. I’ve been meaning to write one up…actually I had been meaning to write up a list of things I wanted to do before 30 and never got around to it (I’m 33). I definitely have a lot of travel related items on my mental list. As for living in a country for 3 months…I think that would be a great experience to be immersed in another culture. The most I did was 1 month in Mexico as part of a group study exchange with the Rotary.
    Andrew@LivingRichCheaply recently posted: Are We Overworked?My Profile

• Mr NYBudget February 26, 2014 at 4:36 pm

1 month in another country is more than I have done. That sounds great. I definitely hope to travel more throughout my 30s.

11. Joe Saul-Sehy February 26, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I’m with you on brewing the beer. Call me anytime if you need a taste-tester.

The Klout score used to interest me….until I started doing stuff to chase that stat. Then I realized what a silly stat it is (for me, anyway). It’s almost like my Alexa ranking….nearly irrelevant.
    Joe Saul-Sehy recently posted: 5 Ways to Turn Your Budget Into a Hot, Soapy DreamMy Profile

• Mr NYBudget February 26, 2014 at 4:39 pm

That is pretty true about Klout – although it does represent a level of engagement that I would like to achieve. In order to reach the goal, it requires me to engage in social media in ways that I should be anyway, so that’s why I keep it on there. Although, funny story, I did score a 4-foot Geico Gecko stuffed animal and a signed photo from the Gecko as well for having a good Klout score. It makes for weird decoration in my apartment!

12. Ryan @ Impersonal Finance February 27, 2014 at 1:00 pm

That’s a serisouly awesome bucket list. I might have to steal a few items off of it! But I’m definitely looking to travel more. There’s just so much of the US, let alone the world, that can be explored. I don’t know if I’ll ever have the time to do it all, but that’s what FI is all about, right?
    Ryan @ Impersonal Finance recently posted: study failure as you do successMy Profile

• Mr NYBudget February 27, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Absolutely – that is a BIG part of why FI appeals to me – all the travel I would like to do. Feel free to steal any of those you like!

13. Mel @ brokeGIRLrich February 28, 2014 at 5:49 pm

That’s a really great bucket list! Mine has a lot of similar travel goals AND I was super excited to cross off skydiving like a year and a half ago. I thought it was going to be a once in a lifetime thing, but it was so awesome, I would definitely do it again. I really like how clear your finance goals are and that all of your list is written in a really achievable manner.
    Mel @ brokeGIRLrich recently posted: Accountability: February 2014My Profile

• Mr NYBudget March 1, 2014 at 9:17 am

Skydiving sounds like so much fun! And I purposefully made the goals achievable with the idea that I can always add new goals or new levels after I accomplish the achievable ones.

14. Steven March 4, 2014 at 8:57 am

Looking over the site, didn’t realize the numerous things we have in common. Don’t include me in the professional photo shoot, but I think it’s great to have everything down to see where you are at and where you want to go.
    Steven recently posted: Fitness Goals-100 Days at a TimeMy Profile

• Mr NYBudget March 4, 2014 at 9:51 am

Cool! Yeah, the photo shoot is mainly about having professional pictures for this blog, linkedin, etc. I feel like it would be useful.